Sunday, September 23, 2007

HORSE CAMPING


One of the things I look forward to the most about returning to Minnesota for the summer is going camping and trail riding with my friends up here. And now, as the first frost has brought out the colors in the trees, my favorite time of the year has arrived. The bugs are gone, the humidity is low, and the rides are among the glorious reds, golds and oranges of the maples. The sky always seems to be at it's most intense blue during September and October, and the sounds of the honking geese as their formations start heading south, the breeze blowing the drying leaves in the tree, and of hooves walking though the fallen leaves forms a music that is autumn's own.

The fall rides are beautiful, and the weather fluctuates between the warm 80's and can plummet to a frosty 25 at night. I am now bringing my silk longjohns along, and am packing the warmer horse blankets. My chili was a big hit last weekend when the weather was in the 20's at night, but today the cold drinks will taste good after a ride in the 80 degree sunshine.

Hopefully, I will have 3 or 4 more camping trips before packing up to return to Arizona. I will have wonderful friends and trails there, too, but it is hard to beat the camping in Minnesota in the fall. I treasure these last remaining days and the friends who make them so wonderful. And I am so fortunate to have my palomino buddy to share the miles....he is patient for me to find a picnic table for mounting, trusts me when I ask him to cross a stream, bridge or muddy patch, and willing to be alone on a picket line at night. He is one of those "once in a lifetime" horses that are such a blessing. Perfection doesn't exist in horses or people, but to me, he is pretty close.

Time to get off this computer and RIDE!

No comments: