Wednesday, November 5, 2008

A DAY IN HISTORY!


I am so proud of my country today. In high school I read "Black Like Me" and learned of college students being killed for helping people in the southern states register to vote. I saw the Governor of Alabama stand in front of a college and refuse to allow Black students entrance. I saw Martin Luther Kings speech...."I have a dream..."....and I saw him shot down. I wept during that terrible week of Kennedy's death and funeral. I have seen America at her ugliest. But last night I sat with two Republicans and had an election party....and watched history being made. Tears ran down my cheeks as I heard the healing, gracious speech by John McCain in defeat. And I felt again how I felt as a teenager when I watched John Kennedy take office and heard "Ask not what your country can do for you. Ask what you can do for your country". I felt hope, I felt pride, and I felt the excitement of thinking that this country can heal, can be better for all Americans, can be respected again by the world, and can move to a time of peace and prosperity. I prayed that God would allow the best person for our country to win this election....and learned that many others were offering the same prayer. Now I pray that our country can heal, can get behind our new president, and that God will protect and guide him. I have never been prouder of my country. God speed, President Obama!

No comments: